Like all things Microsoft, their Word add-ins can be a little buggy. Here, we provide you with assistance if our add-in is not working correctly.
Confirm that the problem is a Microsoft bug
To confirm the that problem with the add-in is a Microsoft bug and not a Patent Bots bug (which is almost always the case), you can install another Word add-in, such as the Wikipedia Word add-in. You should see the same problems with the Wikipedia add-in. If not, contact us at email@example.com and we will help.
In many instances, the following will fix add-in problems:
- Closing and reopening Word.
- Making sure you are logged into Word.
- Making sure that the web browser used by Word add-ins (usually Edge on Windows and Safari on Mac) is not blocking pop-up windows that are required for login.
- Uninstalling the add-in, closing and reopening Word, and reinstalling the add-in.
- Uninstalling the add-in, restarting your computer, and reinstalling the add-in.
Your IT may need to assist with other troubleshooting:
- Checking your "Trust Center" settings to make that the Word add-in is allowed.
- Depending on your network configuration, your IT may need to add an SSL bypass.
Most other add-in problems relate to Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). The add-ins are presented in a web browser that is embedded in Word. Word 2016 and Word 2019 use IE11 as that web browser even though IE11 is officially deprecated. This is a Microsoft requirement and not caused by Patent Bots.
Some law firms and companies have blocked IE11. If you are using Word 2016 or Word 2019, then you will need to remove the blocking of IE11.
Sometimes the problem relates to IE11 settings, such as protected mode or security zones. You can try using the add-in in administrator mode to diagnose these issues.
Microsoft Add-in Store Blocked
Some law firm sand companies block the Microsoft store so that end users cannot install add-ins. Your IT may be able to install the add-in for you, or your IT may be able to do a local installation that does not require the Microsoft store. Please feel free to have your IT contact us for assistance.