A firm can improve its Patent Quality Ranking by doing the following:
- Using a patent proofreading tool! It doesn't have to be Patent Bots. Many of the firms at the top of our quality rankings are not Patent Bots customers.
- Carefully review the proofreading report and fix all mistakes. Some attorneys will run a proofreading report and not review it carefully or not fix all indicated mistakes.
- Do the above at all stages of prosecution so that errors don't creep in when amending claims in office action responses.
- Review by a second patent practitioner who also reviews a proofreading report. It is much easier to spot someone else's mistakes than your own.
- Consistency! Your firm should do the above for all of its patent applications. Less careful work for as little 5% of your patent applications will quickly move you down the quality rankings.
- Smaller firms tend to have higher quality rankings because it is easier to create a culture of ensuring high quality work. Larger firms need to work harder to make sure that all of their patent practitioners are committed to doing high quality work.